First constructed in 1228, Fondaco dei Tedeschi is one of Venice’s largest and most recognizable buildings and it has recently been renewed by OMA to host a department store – unfortunately yes, a department store.
OMA, completed the restoration of the 9ooo sqm building commissioned by the Benetton family in 2009: each intervention is realized as an excavation through the existing mass, unveiling new perspectives. The project by Ippolito Pestellini Laparelli – OMA’s partner – with Silvia Sandor, is composed of both architecture and programming; it opens the courtyard piazza to pedestrians, maintaining its historical role of covered urban ‘campo’. The new rooftop is a renovation of the existing 19th Century pavilion, standing over a new steel and glass floor which hovers above the central courtyard. An additional wooden terrace is placed over the top to give a spectacular view over the city. The rooftop and the courtyard will become public, accessible at all times. For more info visit OMA’s page!
Images by Delfino Sisto Legnani and Marco Cappelletti